Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's Snowing

We’ve had one big snow already, and I figure it’s like a winter cold, once you’ve had one that should be it. Daughter D drove her car down the hill, parked it, and then made the trek up the one half mile of driveway back to the house. She wanted to make certain we could escape. That woman, with one week and a half until her delivery due date, she is still hiking the hill. Our Ferrier said walking will settle the baby perfectly into the pelvis. He said horseback riding would do it too, but I think one would have to be an extremely confident rider to get on a horse at 81/2 months pregnant. I do have to stop her from lifting a hay bale though.

My husband is on a business trip, so we had besides my daughter's car, a truck and his car parked here at the house--don’t have him as back-up though. As a precaution, after feeding horses and cleaning the barn, I drove the truck down the hill as we want the truck available tomorrow. Snow had accumulated since my daughter's trip, so the truck skied down the hill, skidded across a ravine with a drop-off on either side, and then I skidded to a halt, as though aboard a horse and facing a jump. I took stock of what was ahead—a pond at the bottom of the hill—a single lane between the pond and a waterfall. Okay, I breathed, and began to inch, riding the brake, screech, slip, screech, slip, finally giving it the reins and careening down a hill over the single lane as though crossing the red sea.

The hike back up was better than the trip I took during the last snow where snow laden branches drooped like a snow miser brushing the road, beautiful to view, impossible to drive through. I was carrying a backpack with our little dog Peaches in it. She had been sick for over a month, and needed to visit to the doctor again. She had had surgery for a bowel obstruction a short time earlier when she ate kitty litter. In a healthy dog kitty litter would pass, but she wasn’t healthy. The Vet determined she has Addison’s disease, which is not really a disease but a condition where the adrenals are not functioning properly.

Now after a month of worry, after squirting broth into her mouth, the only food she would eat --after her spending time at the emergency hospital, after my grief in believing I was losing her, the doctors regulated her medications. She is eating, drinking and pooping. Yeah.

Now we have our Pink Party Poodle for Peace back. She will once again sit on her haunches and wave both arms in the air in perfect precision. She’s anxious for any ride in the car. She bops me on the leg saying she’s ready to travel. She plays with Hope, Daughter D's kitten. We have our wonderful exuberant enthusiastic dog back.

It’s a glorious day snow or not.