Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tiki Picture--loaded where it wanted to

Hawaii Dec 8


Oh I love getting up in the dark and going to the computer, and outside, between my bedroom window and the Tiki room, the morning awakens. The sun doesn’t burst over the hill in blazing glory, but subtly brightens as though God is reversing the dimmer switch She turned down last night.

It is pouring down rain. The light glowing on the green between here and the Tiki room is a green undescribable, lime/forest, gorgeous. Oh dear, that rain will make the road muddy, and the shipping container truck is scheduled to arrive today.

We sent the cars early so they would be here first, but alas shipping companies do their own thing. I am being warned that the truck might not get the container to our property. Oh, please please please.

We had enough hauling in Oregon. The truck didn’t make it up the hill to our Oregon property so we used the Company pickup truck (our truck was forging its way here) to haul everything down to the shipping container parked at the bottom of the hill. Actually that worked well, as the container was four feet off the ground, and would require carrying furnishings, boxes, etc. up a ramp. With the pickup we could stack a load into the back of the truck, drive down the hill, then off load onto the container. Here, though, I do not want to make ten million trips over potholes carrying furnishings. And Daughter D and I cannot handle some of the heavy equipment stored in that container. (Husband Dear will not be here.)

I am chewed up from mosquito bites as Husband D and I spent last night outside installing an on-demand hot water heater. Bless his heart, it was complicated and intended for a professional installer, but we think he got it. We’ll see when we turn on the gas this morning.

We are rather fried from the last month of packing and the move and being here and all the things to do. We were grumbling last night that we dealt with crap at the other house, and here the previous owners left more crap. What is it they say if you dig through manure you might find a pony?

Actually there were two horses grazing by the Tiki room this morning. Two of the neighbor’s Icelandic Horses wandered through. Wish they would stay longer and eat some of this grass that can grow as high as the house. (I’m not exaggerating this time.)

Before I complain too much let me tell you that first you are keeping me sane. I know you are out there and I am here, but I feel our connection, and I know some of you are pulling for us. I love having you there.

Second I have to tell you about the Coqui frogs that sing every night. They are tiny little frogs and have a sweet “Kopi” sound, like birds chortling. They coordinate their call—it’s a mating call--with the night sounds of bugs, birds, whatever. It sounds like the jungle. I love them. I can’t understand why some people find them objectionable and consider them to be noise pollution. They are not indigenous, and there seems to be resentment to imports. Some people want to eradicate them, yet they do good eating insects, spiders and roaches. Why would anyone complain? You who remember my journal The Frog’s Song know that motto was “The frogs call the rain that settles the dust for our journey.”

No dust here.