Friday, January 8, 2010

Cleavage




In a Hawaiian parking lot the fellow in the car next to me had his personal rear so close to my door I had to wait while he mooned me. He didn’t mean to, it was just that his pants were so low about 6 inches of cleavage showed.

This was a young man, not a heavy one, a man in shape, one in keeping with the current dress style of low- slung loose pants. I just wondered what was holding his pants up.

DD and I began wondering about cleavage. What is it these days, women have half a breast showing and men have half a butt showing? I have nothing against cleavage, I appreciate it, but sometimes it seems inappropriate, like for a bank teller. And television, a lawyer is discussing her briefs while her college tries not to look down. Is this similar to the phenomon of skirt lengths rising and falling in reverse proportion to the economy?

This is trivial, I know, but I need some triviality. Better than me worrying about how old I am looking.

First on the agenda:

My website http://thefrogssong.com, doesn’t work. My site is still http://grannyshootsfromthehip.com To change it means a new domain name, etc. etc. I don’t want to do that right now. I can title it The Frog’s Song, I suppose, or Maybe Big Island, small world, or Life on the Big Island. What do you think? Any suggestions? I like Meredith’s suggestion of “There’s a Pod in the Papaya Field.”

When we drive past the spot where the shipping container was once parked we feel nostalgic, and miss the Pod. Just seeing it, not unloading it.

Second: An epiphany:

If you have had as many spiritual teachings, listened to as many tapes, followed as many disciplines as I have you might think, too, that you ought to have it together. You ought to be able to take life’s bumps with grace. In fact, according to many teachings, you ought not to have any bumps, for you ought to focus on what you want, keep your mind on the task at hand, ask, and all good things will come to you. Well, I think it works more this way, yes, we ought to keep a positive attitude, yes, a strong belief will carry you though, yes, thoughts create, yes, indeed, go for what you want, but there is another side.

You have probably heard this story of the person talking to God. Says the person: “In looking back I see two sets of footprints, one set is mine, the other is yours. We walk side by side. However in times of trouble, I see only one of prints. Does that mean you have deserted me?”

“No, during those times, I was carrying you.”

I think when we have done the action, when we have struggled, thought, made every effort to find an answer, that we do not need to harangue ourselves that we are not doing it right. We aren’t focusing enough. We aren’t positive enough. We aren’t holding fast to the principles. It is during those times that the great spirit–call it what you will--springs forth, and carries us.

Okay, a day in Hawaii:

On January 2, Baby Darling’s 11th month birthday, we drove to a farm and looked at baby goats. Daughter Darling decided to buy two adorable little baby girls. They have been bottle fed, and are thus are attached to people, are friendly, and climb all over you. (You can tell the difference between momma fed babies and bottle fed kids, for, those raised on a bottle are much more people friendly.) Both kids have about two more weeks of bottle feeding, and today, after preparing an enclosure, and purchasing milk replacer, we brought them home.

The owner has a number of goats, and she will give the little does a free breeding in about a year. The owner purchased three kids with the intent of donating them to a third world country where the infant mortality is 40%. With a nanny goat a family can help feed itself, rather like Heifer International.

However, there was so much governmental red tape that it didn’t seem possible, and thus she is selling them to us.

Oh my goodness, while I was writing God turned up her rheostat again and it is light outside.

A new day in Paradise.