Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Place of Healing


Jungle Art

What will I miss when we leave the Big Island?

Well, running off to Hawaii for the week end for one thing. Hawaii is on the other side of the island—you know, luxury hotels, white sands, swaying palms. Here it is beautiful, but not traditional Hawaii, and I yearn for some order and refinement in my life. I don’t want to always live under primitive conditions no matter how many Coqui’s chortle.

Daughter Darling, Baby Darling and I ran off to Hawaii this past weekend. We swam in a pool and went to a Luau. We figured if our time here is limited we ought to take one in. Baby D loves music and dancing, and was mesmerized by the fire dancing. I thought, you can watch, but don’t try this when you get home. When we left the Luau, DD said to BD, “Well today you learned that New Zealand is a part of the Polynesian Islands, your school for the day.” We figure the world is his school house (and ours apparently).

For those of you who know that when we lived in San Diego, we attended a 6 month program to up our consciousness, well, Hawaii has upped ours, and I suppose it has cost about the same as the other program.

We could spend another 5 years here and then move, or we could stay 5 months, and say, “That’s it, I’m out of here.”

I thought about keeping quiet regarding this. Last week I told a friend that it was a secret that we are thinking about leaving. The next week, here, I broadcast it. You know how it is, when something is pecking at you it’s hard to go on with the chatter like, “No I’m not talking about the elephant in the room. What elephant?”

I believe we got what we came to Hawaii to get, a break that was so radical, so outrageous, so far from where we had been, that it forced us to think in new ways. DD has her vision to the future, and it does not include Hawaii. Here dream job awaits. If she leaves we are going with her. She needs us, we need her. BD needs us, and we need him. I can write and HD can design wherever, but some resources would be nice. The patina of rust we can do without.

Okay great master, provide the footprints and we will fall into them step by step.

Aloha,

Joyce

P.S. I am working feverishly on a book about this experience called Talk Story, Seeking Aloha on the Big Island.
“Talk Story” is a Hawaiian phrase for chatting, gossiping, or shooting the breeze. It is what good friends do on a lazy Kona day… I think I will write it under the Nome de Plume of Jewell D. I have used that handle for so long it has become me.