Thursday, August 19, 2010

More from the Treehouse

“And the day came when the risk to remain in a tight bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” –Andis Nin

(From a wonderful reader.)

To all my readers:


Thank you for sticking with me and for not telling me of all the mistakes I have made. When I read that I wrote Tennessee Ernie Williams, I went, “What? It’s Tennessee Ernie Ford.” And I have repeated myself on more than one occasion, and that’s not counting the typos. %&*xoyqqqqqqhee Ah well, I must throw myself on the mercies of kind folks.

Second, remember how this blog began as a horse oriented site? Wish on A white Horse I called it. I wanted to promote my book, It’s Hard to Stay On A Horse While you’re Unconscious—long title yes. That experience happened so long ago it seems like a different lifetime. This blog continued and metamorphosed into THE MOVE—that is our move to Hawaii. Now we are on the mainland, and I have gone into horse grieve again.

Ever since we ended up, serendipitously, with 3 acres of property I have been secretly dreaming of getting my previous horse, Velvet, back. I don’t know if her new owner would part with her though, probably for enough $$$$$. I casually mentioned--this opened a can of worms--to Daughter Darling that our landlord told me to check with the neighbor to see if we would have a horse on the property, DD went into a total tilt.

Here she gave away her horses to move to Hawaii, as did I. We decided that it was best not to have horses for a while as we are renting this property, and don’t know what will happen eventually. On top of that I thought perhaps I should hang up the old riding boots. So what was I doing lusting after a horse? Besides maybe Velvet is happier where she is…

It was a moment of weakness and heart yearnings.

And then I read Sheve’ Stockton’s new website and blog http://honeyrockdawn.com/ about her horse Ranger and felt more twangs. There he was, in photo, standing at the Post Office, her Pony Express. She told how she can close her eyes, and he will bring her home. Such a sweet girl, and her photos of Charlie, her coyote, are beyond description. She has raised him from a pup, talks about him, posts a daily photo, and tells of her life in Wyoming on http://www.dailycoyote.com/ Her book, The Daily Coyote, carried me, like closed eyes on Ranger, to her site.

And then, oh, there’s more, while driving down our road I saw a man riding his horse through a luscious green vineyard trailed by three Golden Retrievers. What a dream.

To top it off, I saw the preview to the movie Secretariat, and almost broke out into tears.

Secretariat was, as you might remember, one of the greats in Thoroughbred horse racing history, a Triple Crown winner in 1973. To win the Triple Crown a horse must win The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness and The Belmont races. These three grueling races are all with 5 weeks of each other, so the horse must be a tremendous athlete and fast to boot. Since 1919 only 11 horses have won. I didn’t know this, but Secretariat’s champion was a housewife who believed in him from the beginning, and was a force to be reckoned with. I love it.

‘Life is a trip and an education. Don’t be afraid of the stop signs, dangerous curves, and bumps in the road.”

--Tom Morris,

Vice President, Executive Producer, Creative Development and an Imagineer at the Disney Company

P.S. Speaking of bumps, how about a little positive energy beamed to our property in Hawaii, that someone loves it and buys it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.