Sunday, November 4, 2012

Trick or Treat


What did you do for Halloween?

It slipped past us, but I did learn a fascinating fact about it recently: The first of November is “All Saints Day,” also called “Hallowed Days.” The eve before all Saints day is Hallows eve. Viola’ Halloween.  Okay, you may have known that already, but what I found fascinating was that the pagans believed that the veil between this world and the next was the thinnest at that juncture between the eve of October 31, and morning of November 1. People dressed hideously to scare off any unwanted spirits that might have crept through that veil.

 And we dress up in scary costumes to this day…Halloween  provides excellent inspiration however.
Best dog costume ever.
 
 
Chocolate covered pretzel pumpkins swith sprinkles, now that's something I could sink my teeth into.

I have an aversion to masks—carried over from when I was a child. Does anyone else feel that way? I don’t even like clowns, and horrors, when I was a kid, Santa Claus wore a mask complete with a fake beard. I knew though, that that wasn’t the real Santa Claus, and the idea of sitting on fake Santa’s lap was abhorrent to me. Luckily I never had to do it.

You could say I had a trauma. I always think it’s odd when someone says, I was scared by something as a child and now I am afraid of that something,” but with me and masks I wonder. Perhaps it was the scare I had at two or three years of age that did it. I ran to greet my father as he came home from the grocery store, and stopped short, screaming. He was wearing a mask! A cereal box came with a mask attached, and with the best of intentions, my dad thought it would be funny to come home wearing it.  It wasn’t.

One more tidbit before I close. A philosopher named Ernest Holmes called prayer “A Treatment.” This comes, like Halloween, from way back. Way back, physicians, that is doctors, were not the skilled scientists we have today. (And I have a feeling that Star Trek’s doctor Bone’s comment will prove correct. “It’s barbaric,”he said when he saw our present-day treatments.) When did doctors learn about germs and to wash their hands for heaven’s sake? Late 1800’s I believe. So, a person in need of healing had two choices—they could choose a doctor or a metaphysician (Medicine man, medicine Woman?) for treatment.
 

Holmes applied the term “Treatment,” as well for prayers.  He did not believe one ought to beg or plead for their desired results.. For while “God “ is “Out there,” He is also “in here,” meaning “Within.” Therefore, prayer is to prepare oneself. It is to allow oneself to me in a mood of receptivity. It is a “Treatment.”