Friday, July 10, 2009

Consider the Possibilities


July 10, 2009
I have completed a manuscript. I can’t call it a book because it isn’t one yet. I’m putting it out there though with high intent, with sweet affirmations, and a desire to either entertain or be of assistance.

Have a dream. Fan it to white-hot intensity. Take action, and don’t give up.

My manuscript is entitled Oh Baby! By Jewell D. (A new nom de plume.)
I think more than a story about Daughter D and I getting Baby D, it is a motivational book. You know I’ve been reading “How to be Successful.” Actually the book I’m reading is People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It, by Larry Winget. (Better title than “How to Be Successful” isn’t it?) I needed Winget, “The Pitbull of Personal Development,” to push me to the next level.

So, do you think a story about a mother and daughter embarking upon a journey that began at Disneyland and ended at Disneyland, “The Happiest Place on Earth,” could find its way into the heart of humankind?

It could be for whoever had a dream and took action to get it.

It could be for people who thought they wanted to adopt a child, but found that process so daunting they opted for artificial insemination instead. It could be for those who want to grow their own baby, and need encouragement.

It could be for those who contemplated an interracial family, and asked the hard questions: “How can one raise a peaceful person? Should one remove a child from its culture? What about raising a black child in a white household? What are the moral concerns of a single parent adoption? How does a child absorb its parent’s religious beliefs while accepting those of others?”

Two years.

It took two years to get Baby D.

In the meantime we “Flipped a House,” took trips, I fell off my horse, healed, we contemplated the nature of reality. My blog readers pretty much know the story at the end, but they don’t know the beginning, or the middle. Daughter D’s and my adventure led me into my blog’s title Life’s Twists and Turns, for this adventure was like following a two year old through the backyard, stopping at the sand box, splashing in the puddle, plucking dandelion flowers for Momma, spinning in circles, chasing the dog, jumping on the trampoline, riding a rubber bouncing horse, being distracted by a butterfly, chasing a hummingbird. Whew!

When Daughter D came to me with the proclamation “I’d like to adopt a child, a child of Africa.” I suggested making a documentary of the process. And with Daughter D’s attention to detail, and her eye for design, the idea of making a documentary fit her better than a wet tee-shirt.

We called ourselves Two Dorks and a Camera Production Company.

So we began. As I naturally turn to writing I began a companion to the documentary. Two mediums, says Daughter D. Let’s see how they manifest.

Mine is my manuscript Oh Baby!

I just read through our recent road trip and become inspired and called Nina who is on the road going to work. And we talk about how it was on the road, with every day a new adventure, and how we felt bigger than our possibilities when we were at Disneyland, and she tells me that in the mornings she whispers to Baby D, “What wonderful thing are we going to do today?”

Thanks for reading, and for accompanying me on life’s journey.
Joyce aka Jewell D