Friday, July 31, 2009

Hawaii?


Hawaii? I'm ready.


Miracles don’t happen overnight. Sometimes they take an entire weekend.

One day I declare how happy I am about the prospects of going to Hawaii.
The next I lie in bed ruminating. We’ll get gassed, I think. Sulfur Dioxide burps from the Volcano on a regular basis. The volcano might squirt lava in our direction. I’m sad about leaving my first-born daughter and first-born grandson. I’ll be leaving my friends; I won’t have any friends in Hawaii.”

Gee Joyce, the sky might fall too.

The sun comes out: I confess my fears to Daughter D. “It’s logical to have those fears about the unknown,” says my reasonable daughter. “Fear is what keeps people stuck. You still want to go to Hawaii don’t you?!”

She sees Baby D running on the beach, swimming daily, turning brown as a macadamia nut. And about daughter number one, she says, “Think of what a broadening experience that will be.”

Daughter D says when she was little her play was about water. When she and a neighbor girl would play, they would imagine they were swimming.

I played galloping a horse.

I have heard if you want to know what to do with your life, remember what wanted to do as a child.

What do you want to do?

I know we all have dreams and hopes and desires, and want to live life to the fullest, or at least to the happiest we can find. Our little group here on D mountain are able to move to Hawaii because of the magic of computers, as my husband does his design work on one. And there's the internet and cyberspace and I don't know what all. Gosh, I sent an email to our Real Estate Agent in Hawaii and he called me 2 minutes later. I’m in awe.

When I apologized to said Agent for going to the office on Sunday for our FAX, he said, “Are you kidding. Every day in Hawaii is a vacation.”

“In a time of great uncertainty and anxiety, my grandparents held on to a simple dream—that they could raise my mother in a land of boundless opportunity, that their generation’s struggles and sacrifice could give her the freedom to be what she wanted to be, and how she wanted to live.”
--Barack Obama

Chapter 11 of my book, It’s Hard To Stay On A Horse While You’re Unconscious begins thus:

Walk in Awe

“Is not life a thousand times too short for us to bore ourselves?”
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Find the book on www.wishonawhitehorse.com