Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Take Your Cockroach for a Walk

--No picture today in respect for Molly. Check out, "A Horse Named Molly" on the web, she's awesome.

Now on the home front.

The Countdown begins…

Husband Dear says I would throw away everything.

I do attack the house innards with vigor, but I lack the courage of my convictions. “Oh I need that.” I say. “I can’t part with that.”

We don’t have a definite moving date for our sojourn to Hawaii—the big sojourn, that is the MOVE. We are taking a little look-see the end of this month.

Longtime readers will remember my writing about the morning I shoveled manure and asked for a place where we would be happy. The great cosmic consciousness answered: “Check out Hawaii on the Internet.”

Zap! When spirit talks, listen. It was love at first hale (HAH-lay, meaning house in Hawaiian). Actually it was the 10 acres we fell in love with. It’s a simple little house. I imagine packing to spend the summer in a vacation cabin—and staying. This move will require emptying of a 4,000 square foot house into 1,100.

First on the list was this: Wait for an existing offer on the Hawaii house to expire.

It did.

Put in offer.

Stew about finances.

Stay awake nights.

Trust.

Keep on keeping on.

Chop wood, carry water.

Turn in the panache of a Jaguar car for a fuel efficient green 50 mph Toyota Prius. We have had a Jaguar for 25 years (two cars.) The last one had 333,000 miles on the original motor. With that we could have driven to the moon and part way back, and I bet it would have carried us the distance. That is if we didn’t need to roll down the windows, move the driver’s seat, and we didn’t mind the mysterious roar.

Check moving quotes to Hawaii.

Check out car moving quotes.

Check out horse transport quotes.

Have dogs and cats vaccinated.

Begin the 120 day animal quarantine waiting period.

Prior to this move I dreamed of a garden shed for a writing studio. That desire has transformed into visualizing a Polynesian style hut, built off the ground, on poles and complete with a thatched roof.

And imagine this, we could check out the restaurants on the island, and I could tell you about them, and whet your pallet for Hawaii, and you could be ahead of the game in epicurean knowledge. (I’m a real public servant.)

Here’s a little secret between you and me. I hear that cockroaches are not a symbol of filth in Hawaii, but a fact of life. Hotels hide them as best they can.

Daughter D gave away her two ferrets, Toronto and Crazy Legs. She has had a ferret continuously since we first moved from California to Oregon 22 years ago. And that includes her move back to California, and the infamous ferret smuggle. That’s how committed she is to this move.

As I sat down to write this I received an email from a friend and reader of this blog. Did you check out A Horse Named Molly? Talk about fortitude. I couldn't send the pictures, but I guarentee they are awesome.
Don't forget www.wishonawhitehorse.com.