Thursday, May 10, 2012

Knock my Socks Off

On the way out of the library the other day, after not finding a book that grabbed me, I saw on the “Newly released” shelf a first novel by Wiley Cash entitled a land more kind than home. (Title in all small letters.)

I picked up the book because the blurb on the cover said it would “Knock my socks off.” Agents and publishers say that ad nauseam, “Knock my socks off.”  Well, I read that book in a couple of days and it did as advertised. It knocked my sock off.  I try to keep a novel going all the time, as  I want beautiful words singing in my head, but alas, now I have none—no socks either. I’m going to watch and see if a land more kind than home becomes a best-seller.  It will. I predict.

Later in the week Daughter Darling, Baby Darling and I walked down the middle of a street with no danger of being hit by a car, well maybe a 1928 fire engine. We might be run over by a Belgian Draft horse pulling an enormous wagon, come to think of it the real danger was being run over by a stroller or a wheel chair pushed by a distracted caretaker, or an electric scooter-chair driven by a sugar crazed sight-seer.  You might have guessed we were at Disneyland again.

The Matterhorn that had scaffolding and netting the last time we visited the park is now clean with freshly driven snow (not enough snow, though, it looks like summer). The bobsleds are being refurbished, so nothing visible is happening on the mountain. Walt Disney spent a week in Switzerland during the filming of his movie Third Man on the Mountain, and while there fell in love with the real Matterhorn. He sent a picture of it to his team of Imagineers, with the note: “Build this.” Imagine!

Baby Darling has taken many trips down Splash Mountain and trips down the Nile on the Jungle Cruise ride, but only in his head, and in a box down our two steps into the living room. He has been on the Jungle Cruise once, but declined another trip. Watching the people on Splash Mountain was adventurous enough, watching them fall screaming over a precipice, slide at lightning speed down a waterfall and then at the bottom hit a berm of water that courses over the log-boat and drenches the entire boat-load of people. Oh, one of my readers said they wanted to follow Fred the mouse’s adventures in Disneyland. I saw him on the back of a log on Splash Mountain, standing at the pentacle of the plunge pretending to be the Red Baron. He waved, then yelled, "Curse you Red Baron."

The Lego store on Main Street has been re-modeled, and sitting on the roof is an impressive life-sized black dragon made of Legos. It knocked my socks off. I had no camera, but got a snap on my phone, now if I can get it downloaded…Nope I can’t.

Here, I can get Tasha's pictures though--more of her wearing her "Thunder Shirt." See letter at right.