Friday, October 5, 2012

Don't Mess With Big Bird

Did you see the Presidential debate? I didn’t, but I heard about Mitt Romney’s comment about liking Big Bird, but still wanting to cut PBS.

ATTACKING THE ARTS! I want to scream.
The American public responded!  Bless them. They tweeted  in favor of Big Bird 17,000 times in one minute.

Today I saw there were 10 million tweets for Big Bird. Yea Americans, now’s the time to say, “I’m mad as hell and I won’t take it anymore!”
A cut to the PBS budget would hurt so many people,  yet not be a drop in the deficit budget bucket. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious. On top of that, did you see the price of gas yesterday ? $4.59 at one of the cheapest gas stations in town. Think about it, who controls the price of gas? And who will get blamed for it?

I AM OUTRAGED!

Starting attacking my bird and my gas tank all in one day. Time for grandma to fight back.  Guess I ought to go back to a previous blog name, GRANNY SHOOTS FROM THE HIP.  What did you tell me Greg? Your grandma shot what off a fence post?

If I can calm down a bit, I will show you what I collected this morning—since I am talking about birds…
 
These are quail eggs.

The property owner here has moved about 100 juvenile turkeys, a dozen chickens and maybe 50 quail into various cages.  We don’t see them from the house as they are in the orchard, but when I go there they chatter to me.

 I have signed up to be the caretaker.

 It would have been nice if the builders had put the cages on level ground.  Maneuvering in and out cages over the incline is like visiting The House of Mystery where water runs uphill.

Finally this morning I got smart. When I opened the door to the quail cage I put a crate inside to barricade birds bent on pouring out like syrup out of a can. Yesterday I did the pin-ball game of pushing them back in, they pushed back.  I moved as fast as I could, yet they kept pouring.

So far, so good.  I haven’t lost any birds, and this morning we ate quail eggs for breakfast.