Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I Have Seen the Elephant!

Okay, first morning on the road. The truck is packed. The animals are loaded. The U-Haul trailer is filled to the max. Daughter, Little Boy Darling, and I are headed for Oregon. We leave a clean house and it’s 1 am.

The following morning both daughter and I awakened with clubs for hands. I thought I had been cursed like the servant in Beauty and the Beast who was turned into a candelabrum with enormous blocks that shot flames for hands. We had loaded the 6 U-Haul boxes, yes 6, 5 wasn’t enough, but then we overloaded them and had to take out some of the weight. Thus the over-worked hands, and thus the trailer to catch the over-flow.

And yes, husband dear, your airplane engine is in there, although it was only by the grace of God, or rather my grace that it didn’t end up in shreds. And regarding the other portion of the plane, Daughter Dear said, “Please can I roll this gyrocopter down the hill? Please, please.”
We got it in.

You see, we were not only loading furnishings, we were loading a shop.

Never mind, all that is behind us. I have seen the elephant.

There is a story about a farmer who had never seen an elephant. When he heard that a circus was coming to town he was ecstatic. He packed up his produce and aimed for town. Along the way he had an accident and all his wares were destroyed. Back home his fellow villagers sympathized with him that he lost his produce and thus his profit. “Never mind,” he said, “I have seen the elephant.”

My elephant was in the Swahili shop at 5th Street market in Eugene, Oregon. He was about 2 feet high and as colorful as a native dancer . The elephant and his counterpart, a lion, were made out of flip-flops that were gleaned from the beaches of Africa. The flip-flops were heated, softened, then shaped and carved. The lion with its colorful mane of rubber/plastic strips was quite exquisite. Ingenious creative people just tickle the heck out of me.

And traveling around Eugene gave me new appreciation. There is something for everybody. From the exquisite  5th street Market with its gourmet food, a new upscale hotel ( The Inn at 5th) complete with a Maserati  parked at the entrance,  to the Performing Arts Center, the University, the numerous and excellent eateries, the second hand stores, the Natural food groceries that grow up around the city like the grasses this area is known for, the Vitamin and supplement stores that sell what in other places one can only get online. Going into Market of Choice, a gourmet grocery store,  will break your budget if you let it, for almost everything tries to jump into your cart. And I haven’t yet hit Saturday Market where I know creativity is spread out like cake icing.

And now for the most amazing and wonderful thing: WE GOT A HOUSE! A tremendous  Rental Manager lady trusted us with Bear, Daughter’s  rug of a dog, and let us have Little Boy Darling’s kitty, Obi Kitty Kenobi. I love her. You can bet we're going to take good care of that house.

 I can sleep again.