Wednesday, June 26, 2013

FREEDOM


In thinking about my book, Don’t Tell Mommy, (with its previous working titles, of Letters, or Mom’s Letters, or My Mother’s Letters), I checked out sexual abuse support group sites on line. Some I couldn’t take.

One that impacted me was “Beyond Silence,” which is basically the message of my book.

I wanted Don't Tell Mommy to showcase my mother for the book features the letters she wrote to the Holt Adoption Agency between the years of 1956 and 1967. Her letters show who she was, how determined she was to adopt children, and how much she wanted them. She said many times that she "Wanted to always have a baby in the house." The trouble was, all she got was me. She also helped get an act through Congress to “Proxy adopt” Korean children. Her letters are loving, honest, they reveal who she was, and they tell of the sweet young years of a growing family. After her death in 1968, the Holt Agency sent the letters to my step-dad who gave them to my sister, and so they came to me. That they survived is a miracle.

Behind all this loving was a secret. And thus I intersperse my letters to my mother telling her the secret. I have sat on the letters for many years not wanting to reveal the secret myself. But here I want to honor my mother, and my sister Jan who passed away two months ago.

I have spoken of this book many times, but I wanted to reiterate it again, for it is in my face. I have been working on formatting it for an eBook release. I am still waiting for the cover, and then it can fly.

 


                                               FREEDOM!
                   Time to let go of the past and run with the wind.