Monday, March 25, 2013

There I Am, All Over The Place


Blog march 24, 2013

They say that those little dust bunnies one finds in the corners of the house are largely sluffed off skin. Disgusting huh?

We're packing, packing, packing, cleaning cleaning cleaning.

We have 5 U-Haul Pods parked in the driveway, each, 8 x 5 x 7.5 feet, and will hold 2,000 pounds. I figure Daughter Dear and I will have lifted, scooted, dragged or shoved 10,000 pounds, except this week she is doing the lifting. Right now for me lifting a toothpick is murder on my back. Come to think of it, I don’t even need a toothpick.

Chiropractor tomorrow. He’ll fix me up.

As I mentioned in the last blog we are going back to Eugene Oregon, back to daughter number one, grandson number one, and the green green grass of home. We’ve gone full circle in the last 3 years. It has been 3 years and 3 months since we left Eugene, sent our vehicles and a packed a shipping container on a freighter across the Pacific to Hawaii. We flew behind them, all of us,  two dogs, two cats, five suitcases, three adults and one 7-month-old grandchild. On the Big Island we found that while we make great tourists, we make lousy Polynesians.
Enter California, and now Oregon.

This past week we circled Eugene more times than a 747 awaiting news from the control tower to land in a blizzard—online  of course. We were searching for a place to rent.   Peaches qualifies for their under 30 pound dog specification, but not 150 pound Bear. If they only knew that Bear is really a rug, and that he is the most gentle, well-mannered dog you can imagine, chases coyotes away, and Newfoundland’s are considered Natural Baby Babysitters. The only danger is tripping over him.

“Somewhere there’s a place for us.” Oh Gosh I was the best landlord in the world, the renting applicant said he didn’t have stellar credit rating, and I didn’t check. I didn’t want to know.  And animals? Great, bring them on. He was the most conscientious tenant and ended up buying the house.

We are blessed.

This morning while waiting for the truck to be serviced I learned a fascinating factoid. “For an afternoon pick-me-up nap, drink a cup of coffee immediately before the nap. It takes 15 to 20 minutes for the caffeine to kick in, and it serves as a natural alarm clock. On top of that you will awaken refreshed.”

Also this morning I read the little booklet The Ultimate Secret (To Getting Absolutely Everything You Want), and noticed it was written by J.D.

J. D? That’s me! Joyce Davis, Jewell D. I’m not taking credit for that booklet. It was another J.D. who wrote it and didn’t put his name on the book because he said it was not he who was important, but the message. How cool is that?!
 
 “I think about Selim who prays at every farewell to the day. There are acts of humility that make a man great.” --Erri De Luca Three Horses