Monday, May 27, 2013

You've Probably Met this Guy


He has Velcro memory. “In ott-6 I was traveling down Interstate 99 and I turned off at Highway 65 and went to Tamarac Way-- turned left there--on the corner I filled up at a Texaco service station where I bought gas for 26.9 cents a gallon…”

That’s not me.

I was in Germany in 1990-something.  1995. My traveling companion just told me. While there we visited a grocery store where they used no plastic bags—no paper ones either, not even for produce. One simply weighted their apple, orange, cabbage, whatever, put a sticker of weight and price on it, and put it back into the cart.  Cart usage cost 25 cents.

The customer ran the cart through check out, took out the groceries, paid and put them back in. They then wheeled the cart out to the car, and if they were smart, because they had no bag, they stowed the groceries into a box. At home they carried the box inside the house, unloaded it and, if they were smart, replaced it into their vehicle.

It was easy.

After that I championed the cause of no bags. Many people carried bags, but for the life of me, I couldn’t remember to take a bag into the grocery store.  

Now I’ve got it.  Eugene forced me into it.

On May 1 Eugene enforced a no plastic-bag law. Paper bags are offered at check-out for  5 cents, and they do supply free plastic produce bags. The retail stores have joined the fray and offer no bags. The first day, so I heard, women carried out purchased clothing in their arms.

We are getting it.  Now I carry canvas or recyclable bags in the car, and I remember to take them into the store.

It tickled me when I got a garbage can, a recycle container, and a yellow tub for glass. The instructions that came with them read like assembling instructions from IKEA.  Contrast this to California were I was shameful,  throwing glass bottles into the dumpster because I didn’t know what to do with them, or was too lazy to find a recycle center.

Now I’m even washing my garbage.
 
This picture tickled me. frankcluck is selling them on etsy.com Many different recycled bags from which to choose.
 

Last week I spent time contributing to my writing blog


Today I’m facing the empty box of Corel Draw. It is downloaded.  I’m scared to begin.

Tomorrow I need to make a cover, and learn to format my book Mom’s Letters, Daughters’ Secrets for an eBook.

That’s May in wrap-up.
 
 
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy.' They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."--John Lennon
 
 


P.S.
On Pinterest I’m Jewell D

On Twitter I’m JewellD@jewellD3


Followers get special love zapped through the ethers right onto their shoulders where they will feel all warm and fuzzy.
Here I’ll remain Joyce, Jo, or jewell, or Honey or Dear.