Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Holding Up Your Face

Have you noticed that it takes more effort these days to hold up your face?

Maybe you are a lot younger than me, and haven’t discovered that yet. Maybe it’s just me. I look at myself in the mirror and I don’t look so bad, but when I see a photo of myself, I wonder what happened.
Well, I discovered the truth. In the mirror I inadvertently hold up my face. A photograph catches me slack-jawed.

I read one writer who asked the question, “How does your writing look at its relaxed state? Do you let it drop like our face? “
Oh my, the pressure. Hold up your face. Hold up your writing.
 
Regarding the cover, I painted it twice. First I painted it looking at a photograph I found online, added a mailbox, and then my friend told me that painting from someone else’s photo is verboten. You must take the photo yourself, she said. Sunday Neil and I drove around our countryside photographing trees. I felt like a designer on Project Runway. On that TV show they sometimes give the contestants a camera and turn them loose in New York City to look for inspiration.

The tree on the cover is loosely interpreted from one that sits in a field next to our Safeway store here in Junction City. The fence and mailbox are a fabrication. This painting ought to legal, upfront and meet specifications. Although it didn’t copy online as clear as I expected. 

 

Which name and cover do you like best?

 





 

This one is available on amazon.com