Thursday, January 30, 2014

What Makes You Happy?

“Life is too ironic to fully understand”

 
 
 
A funny thing happed on the way to happiness…or at least my talking about it.

First, I saw the “Puppy Love” Budweiser ad that will air on the Super Bowl this Sunday. [Picture above, link below.]  Next I read a blog by John Brantingham at John Brantingham: Crime Fiction, Poetry, Literary Fiction, and Travel Writing

Fog and Dreams

“Back when I lived in the mountains above Los Angeles, I used to walk Archie, my dog, to the rim just about every day where I could look out over the city, and the dog could pad around, sniffing and exploring, chasing a lizard or squirrel. I loved looking down like that on the city I commuted to every day, but I liked it so much more when the hikes were foggy.”

Brantingham said that there was something about walking in the fog in the forest. Someone once told him that one of the effects of playing a didgeridoo was that it put the player in a trance-like state—the  same as his fog-walks.  The only thing that came close is a book that drags him out of the fog-state into making him believe that not only does he belong there, but so does everything he sees. And what’s even better than that is when he does it to himself.

So instead of writing about what keeps us from happiness, or all the fears that plague us, or the trauma of childhood that keeps us from being happy, or indeed, What Makes us Happy, I thought CRAPOLA, people want stories more than philosophy. And CRAPOLA again, it’s that oneness with everything, we could call a trance-like state, that puts us into the presence of the divine. That is what we are seeking.

Look at this Love in all the right places:

Budweiser: 'Puppy Love' http://wapo.st/1lol14K  via @PostTV